Call your dentist first. If it’s during regular business hours, they may be able to see you.
Outside of normal business hours, other care options for a dental emergency include an urgent care center, or an emergency room for serious oral injuries.
Welcome to Every Smile Dentistry, your trusted dental care provider in East London, South Africa.
Dental emergencies can occur unexpectedly and knowing how to handle them can make a significant difference in preserving your oral health.
Common Dental Emergencies
- Severe Toothache: A throbbing or persistent toothache may indicate an underlying infection or dental decay. Rinse your mouth with warm water and gently floss to remove any debris. Contact Every Smile Dentistry immediately for a thorough examination and appropriate treatment.
- Knocked-Out Tooth: If a tooth gets knocked out due to an accident or injury, act quickly. Hold the tooth by the crown (avoid touching the root), gently rinse it with water, and try to place it back into the socket. If that’s not possible, keep it moist by placing it in a container of milk or saliva. Visit our emergency dental services without delay for the best chance of saving the tooth.
- Broken Tooth: A broken or fractured tooth can be painful and lead to further complications. Rinse your mouth with warm water and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. Contact Every Smile Dentistry immediately for an emergency appointment. Bring any tooth fragments if possible, as they may aid in restoring your tooth.
Immediate Steps to Take
In any dental emergency, it is crucial to remain calm and take immediate action. Here are some steps to follow:
- Control Bleeding: Apply gentle pressure with a clean cloth or gauze to stop any bleeding.
- Rinse with Warm Water: Use warm water to rinse your mouth and clean the affected area.
- Reduce Swelling: Apply a cold compress to the outside of your cheek to minimize swelling and alleviate pain.
- Preserve a Knocked-Out Tooth: Keep a knocked-out tooth moist by storing it in a container of milk, saliva, or a tooth preservation product until you can reach Every Smile Dentistry.
While dental emergencies can be unpredictable, taking preventive measures can significantly reduce the risk. Follow these tips to safeguard your oral health:
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: Brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and schedule regular check-ups with Every Smile Dentistry.
- Wear Mouthguards: If you participate in sports or activities with the risk of dental trauma, wear a custom-fitted mouthguard.
- Avoid Harmful Habits: Refrain from biting on hard objects, using teeth as tools, or opening packages with your teeth.
Being prepared and knowing how to handle dental emergencies in East London is essential for maintaining optimal oral health.